Friday, September 21, 2007

Souring on the Blogosphere

I am really beginning to sour on the blogosphere. I mean, I am more than happy to read the blogosphere as long as I get a significant percentage of my news from it. But when pseudo-intellectuals like Andrew Sullivan insist on running useless contests like the Best Movie Line Ever and Front Porch Window Views, then I tune out. Sullivan hardly ever seems interested in ideas any more, but merely in accumulating traffic. And he thinks the blogosphere is some kind of great advance for writers, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It would be, if he had something to say. But I have read him for about three years now and I just have not seem his great contribution to human thought. And so I am giving up on him -- I've deleted him from my reading list. I just can't deal with this waste of time, even at 20 seconds a pop. The more I read the more I think the blogosphere is merely derivative on original thought and original reporting and original investigation, and really, who has the time?

No comments: