Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Heartland's conference

The Heartland Institute's conference concludes today, and I really think, in my most objective bones, that you have to conclude it was a serious failure. The only press they got, that I saw, were quite skeptical articles in the NY Times and Washington Post. I suspect they got written up in NewsMax, and were perhaps on Fox, and places like that, but no one believes in their objectivity in the least and frankly, I can't even be bothered to look up what they said. The HI must have spent a couple of hundred thousand dollars on this, and it's really hard to see how they got their money's worth. This was just a quick piss in the middle of the night, nothing more.

I think this might well serve as a significant turning point in the broader debate, and if this didn't succeed, it is hard to imagine what would. They pulled out all the guns, and hit nothing. I can't imagine they feel anything but disheartened.

No comments: