Thursday, September 18, 2008

Introducing QuarkSoup Radio

I'm trying something new: an Internet-based radio/podcast show, called (what else) "Quark Soup Radio", at QuarkSoup.net.

My first guest will be Michael Mann, climatologist at Penn State University and originator of the famous "hockey stick" view of 20th century global warming.

We'll spend a half-hour talking -- about his latest research, about his travails surrounding his research over the last 5 years, and also about his background, life, and motivations for becoming a scientist, and his other thoughts. And who knows what else.

I'm aiming to premier on Thursday, October 2nd. It will be a blog format, with lots of opportunity for comment and feedback.

I'm very open to suggestions for future interviews -- write me at appell@nasw.org . I'd like to cover all fields of science, and some technology, too. And perhaps some science fiction. And whoever else I (or you) find interesting.

If you're a scientist or agent with a book to promote, write me.

Initially, I'd like to do an interview every two weeks, at first, eventually moving to one per week if I can swing it financially, salary-wise. The costs of hosting the show are small -- what costs is my time for preparation of the show. I'm a self-employed freelancer, always on the edge financially (but not complaining, really -- I'm lucky to do what I do), just trying to keep up with the future, so while I'm curious to see how this might develop, I may need to ask for donations at first, if you're willing, if you find it worthwhile, to cover a day or so per week of my time for preparation and interviews. If you want to hear today's scientists talking about their current research, and about what science means to them, and what they mean to science.

I think we need to hear more about where people are coming from.

Want an example? I've profiled six scientists for Scientific American, and I interviewed author T. Coraghessan Boyle several years ago, alongside the pool at the Ritz Carleton Hotel in Phoenix, Arizona.

Stay tuned for more information soon. Thanks.

1 comment:

Dano said...

Being a long (long) time reader, I'm still being pleasantly surprised at the stuff you come up with, David.

Keep up the good work, sir.

Best,

D